Friday, October 9, 2015

JUST ISN'T   FAIR ENOUGH!

Clueless  but  want  to  write  because  I  feel  I  have  to,  sitting  awkwardly  trying  to  look  into  my brain.  Background  music  interrupting  the  ultimate  search!  Glancing  from  angle  to  angle, some angles seem „inviting‟  while others just  „pass‟.   Suddenly,  I  remembered  that  my  nature  is  always  on  the  odd  side.  This  is  what  I  believe  and try  to see  always  also because  I  feel it makes me stand out. Wait!  What  was  it?  I  totally  forgot.  Another  search  on  search,  well  I  guess  that  angle  isn‟t lucky  enough.  Now  back  to  my  ultimate  search…  my  forehead  is  getting  warmer,  no  ideas even  the  normal!  Background  music  is  still  interrupting.  Finally,  I  caught  this  one;  of  course, I  already  have  had a  thought of it  once  earlier.
JUST ISN'T   FAIR ENOUGH!
Have  you  ever  found  yourself  in  this  situation  before?  Once  in  a  queue,  a  very  long  one  and you  just  had  to  excuse  yourself,  after  that  you  return  only  to  find  the  person  that  was  behind you  being  attended  to.  What  are  you  going  to  do?  The  answer  is  quite  common  for  most; they‟ll  just  walk  up  to  the  next  person  and  explain,  but  do  you  think  you‟ll  be  doing  the  right thing?  Don‟t  lie  to  yourself.  Looking  at  the  situation  with  utmost  carefulness,  you  will  agree with me  that  you‟ll be  doing  „negligible‟  wrong. In  case  you  finally  agree  with  me,  you  will  go  back  and  start  afresh  as  the  last  on  the  queue. Even  if  you  refuse  to  agree,  what  if  the  person  you  try  to  explain  to  acts  heartless  and  refuses, you  would  have  no  option  than  to  agree  with  „just‟;  go  back  and  start  afresh!  The  question now is that “do  you think  „just‟ was fair  enough for  you?” Still  on  queues;  last  week  I  was  in  a  queue,  in  the  bank  willing  to  pay  a  friend‟s  fees.  After patiently  following  the  queue  for  about  two  and  a  half  hours,  it  finally  came  to  my  turn.  I gave  out  the  deposit  slip  to  the  teller.  He  examined  it  and  gave  it  back  that  payment  has  been closed for  the day.  I  was  speechless, collected the  slip and went out  gently,  for  that was  „just‟. Now  to  a  story  from  Japanese  history;  that  of  the  forty-seven  Ronin  (Samurai)  who  were sentenced  to  seppuku  (ritual  self-disembowelment)  for  avenging  the  death  of  their  leader.  To „just‟,  these  men  were  guilty  but  to  you,  me,  and  the  Japanese;  these  men  are  heroes  and  there is  a  special  festival,  the  Gishisai  which  takes  place  on  this  day,  14th  December  in  Ako  city  in Hyogo prefecture,  in memory  of the  47 Ronin.   Let‟s  go  to  the  class  rooms.  Have  you  ever  observed  that  your  English  Language  teachers  all have  different  opinions  and  patterns  of  marking  your  essay  test  papers?  A  teacher  may  find your  essay  good  enough  for  a  „9‟  while  another  may  find  it  okay  for  a  „6‟  on  ten.  In  both cases  am  sure  you  won‟t  be  surprised  because  they  can  always  prove  it!  Just  as  some  may find this essay  interesting and others,  a  nonsense.
This  scenario  can  be  likened  to  that  of  job  interviews.  An  interviewer  may  find  your  answers valid  or  invalid  depending  on  how  lucky  you  are  about  your  views  overlapping  with  his.  For this,  I  say  „just‟ is luck. At  times,  „just‟  seems  so clear  and  fair  but  may  „just‟  permit  me  to  say  some  few  things  about it. „Just‟ is selfish! „Just‟ is complicated, „Just‟ is money, „Just‟ is trouble‟, „Just‟ is severe. But forgive me,  „just‟ my  dear, You  can be  anything  you  want to be, I  just  hope  for  a  positive  „just‟ when  you  decide to face  me. And am not  afraid  if the  opposite happens,  one  thing  is for  sure: An ultimate „just‟, a just „just‟, of course, a fair one, is where I‟ll return.
Shehu M. 

Donmubihong 

8th day of October 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment